Wednesday, February 04, 2009

When Life Hands you Lemons........

Make something tasty :)

Life really hasn't handed me the hypothetical lemons. Well, maybe. I mean, my husband is still overseas and I can't find a job and I'm re-thinking my entire career. I suppose that could be life's lemons. I like to consider it a good thing, my husband is almost home and lemon's make for some tasty bread....

So I modified the Better & Home's and Garden recipe for Lemon Bread. I filled it with dried cranberries instead of nuts and glazed it with a lemon glaze for a little extra sweet. So here it is; life's lemon's, sweet and soft, and delciously lemony cranberry lemon bread.

Life's Lemon's, Sweet and Soft and Deliciously Lemony Cranberry Lemon Bread
(Adapted from Better Homes & Garden New Cookbook recipe for Lemon Bread)

1 3/4 cup all-purpose flour
3/4 cup sugar
2 tsp. baking powder
1/4 tsp. salt
1 egg, beaten
1 cup milk
1/4 cup cooking oil (butter or margarine melted)
2 tsp. finely shredded lemon peel
2 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
1/2 cup dried cranberries

Lemon Glaze
3/4 cup powdered sugar
1 tsp. finely shredded lemon peel
enough lemon juice to reach glaze consistency (about 4 tsp.)

Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Grease the bottom and sides of an 8x4x2 inch loaf pan; set aside. In a medium bowl combine flour, sugar, baking powder, and salt. In a seperate bowl combine the egg, milk, oil, lemon peel, and lemon juice. Add wet mixture all at once to the flour mixture. Stir until just moistened (batter should be lumpy). Fold in cranberries and spoon batter into prepared pan.

Bake for 35-50 minutes or until a wooden tooth pick inserted near center comes out clean. Then pour or brush glaze on top while the bread is still warm.

2 comments:

Jessie said...

*drooling*
OH MY.....

Jessie said...

PS - I like your background! Don't you love this designer?!