Thursday, April 30, 2009

Sausage Awesome

I like to bake. I like to make breakfast and I love to do both at once. Since my husband is home I've wanted to make special and delicious favorites that he wasn't able to find while he was on a ship and overseas.

One such delicious bake and breakfast is sausage gravy and biscuits. I've never tackled this breakfast before because of the anticipation of burning the gravy or having runny gravy with no flavor. My husband, the voice of confidence, assured me that I could do anything. Now that I felt invincible I pulled together my ingredients and began what would later be referenced as....

Sausage Awesome

So I leave you now with the recipe.

Sausage Awesome
adapted from Food Network Recipe for White Sausage Gravy

12 oz. tube bulk pork sausage
2 tbsp. all-purpose flour
2 tbsp. Crisco (only if not enough fat from sausage)
2 cups milk
Freshly ground black pepper and salt to taste
Biscuits (recipe to follow)

Heat a large cast iron skillet over medium-high heat. Trust me, use a cast iron skillet. It tastes better, you will be much happier. Add the sausage and break it up with a wooden spoon. Cook stirring occasionally until well browned and cook through. About 7-10 minutes depending.

Using a slotted spoon, transfer the sausage to a bowl, leaving the rendered fat in the skillet. Whisk the flour into the fat and cook, stirring, for about a minute. If there isn't enough fat in the pan you can add 1-2 tbsp. of Crisco to gain the correct creamy consistency. After whisking for a minute , pour the milk into the skillet and bring the gravy to a boil. Lower the heat and simmer gently for 2 minutes. Stir in the sausage and season with salt and pepper to taste.

It should be finished split the biscuits and half and top with the gravy.

Biscuits:
Martha White's Self Rising Flour

Follow the recipe on the back of the back for your choice of biscuits. Best you'll get anywhere!

No comments: