Monday, July 20, 2009

Iron Cupcake: Peach and Fennel Cupcake with Peach Marscapone Frosting

So I'm new to this competition baking scene. I didn't realize the options that were out there for home-made, self-taught bakers. I recently stumbled upon the Iron Cupcake Challenge. I had read of other, far more skilled bakers enter this illusive competition. Since I found myself with a little bit of time I decided to see if I could get something put together. I was cutting it a little close, submissions are due by Friday and it's Monday. So I put my brain to work and came up with a quick recipe worth submitting. Actually, it tastes pretty amazing, if I do say so myself. I feel a bit overwhelmed by some of the awesome submissions in this months IC challenge. I'm not sure I stand a chance.

If you like my cupcake, or you just like me, please make sure to vote starting July 28th, 8PM at NO ONE PUTS CUPCAKE IN A CORNER, http://www.ironcupcakemilwaukee.com.

Also, if you are interested in getting in on the Iron Cupcake business, check out all the details at Iron Cupcake: Earth and join the fun.

Now here's my cupcake submission with the recipe below. It's nice and moist and the fresh peaches give it a nice summery flavor with the fennel combination.



Peach & Fennel Cupcakes

1-1/2 c. AP flour
1 tsp baking powder
1 tsp crushed fennel seeds
1/4 tsp salt
1-1/4 c. granulated sugar
1/2 c. unsalted butter, at room temperature
3 eggs
1 tsp vanilla
2 tsp grated orange zest
3/4 c. whole milk
2 peaches pitted, sliced and cut into thirds

Preheat oven to 350 degrees. In a small bowl, mix together flour, baking powder, crushed fennel and salt. In a large bowl, using an electric mixer, beat together sugar and butter until well combined. Add eggs, one at a time, beating well after each addition until light and fluffly. Add vanilla and orange zest, beating well. Alternately beat in flour mixture and milk, making three additions of flour mixture and two of milk, beating until smooth. Fold in peaches or nectarines. Scoop batter into prepared cupcake liners. Bake in preheated over for 23-28 minutes or until golden brown and tops of cupcakes spring back when lightly touched.

Let cool in pan on rack for 10 minutes. Remove from pan and let cool completely on rack.

Peach Marscapone Frosting
1 pound marscapone cheese
1/2 cup confectioners sugar
1-1/4 cups heavy cream
2 peaches peeled, pitted and finely chopped

In the bowl of an electric mixer beat the marscapone, cream and confectioners' sugar until medium-soft peaks form, 1 to 2 minutes. Be careful no to overbeat. Carefully fold in peaches.

Decorate cooled cupcakes with the frosting and garnish with a sprinkle of fennel seeds.

I am competing to win the following prizes made by wonderful contributors:
And the corporate prize providers:
HEAD CHEFS by FIESTA PRODUCTS
HELLO CUPCAKE by Karen Tack and Alan Richardson
JESSIE STEELE APRONS
TASTE OF HOME books
T-shirt from UPWITHCUPCAKES.COM
Iron Cupcake:Earth is sponsored in part by 1-800-Flowers

PLEASE VOTE FOR ME!

4 comments:

Three Dots... said...

I will vote for you Emily! Good luck with the cupcake challenge!

Katie said...

Yum! What a great excuse to use some of the fennel I've been growing. It sounds like it's time for a trip to the nearby peach farm. I can't wait to try out your recipe! Good luck with the challenge!

Unknown said...

where can i order a dozen at?

Jelli said...

I totally voted for you at IC:E. Your fennel idea was great. So original. Good luck!